What Type Of Auto Insurance Should I Carry To Help Protect Myself If I’m Injured?

by Friedman & Ranzenhofer, PC on April 6, 2011

in NY Insurance Issues

The types of automobile insurance available to Buffalo residents are governed under New York State Law.  Generally, there are two types of automobile insurance required by law that protect the motorist who purchases the insurance (or someone else in their vehicle):  Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (SUM) and Personal Injury Protection (PIP).

The minimum SUM coverage required by law is $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident.  These are the minimum amounts required, but additional amounts may be purchased, and drivers should strongly consider doing so.  SUM coverage may cover your damages if the other driver had no insurance or carried less insurance than your level of SUM coverage.

PIP coverage pays for your first $50,000 in medical expenses and lost wages.  This dollar amount also is set by law.  Beyond this, drivers may purchase Optional Basic Economic Loss (O.B.E.L.) insurance.  This insurance provides an additional $25,000 toward basic economic loss.  Often, Additional PIP (APIP) is also available for purchase.  

There are different forms of all these insurances, and it’s a good idea to check with your insurance agent to make sure you have the coverage you desire when exploring these options to ensure that you will have the protection needed in an auto accident.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment