What Happens If Someone Is Hit By A Car That Has No Insurance In Buffalo?

by Friedman & Ranzenhofer, PC on August 27, 2015

in Buffalo Injury Questions and Answers

Most personal injury car accidents involve making a claim against a negligent driver’s auto insurance.

Experienced Buffalo personal injury lawyers, however, must deal with several different scenarios where the car driven by the defendant may not have insurance.

These include cases where the defendant has failed to pay for the required insurance, accidents involving a stolen vehicle, and hit and run accidents where the responsible vehicle is never identified.

In most cases where the defendant has no insurance, the injured person may make an uninsured motorist claim against his or her own automobile insurance policy.

New York State requires all automobile insurance policies to provide a minimum of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, of uninsured motorist coverage, and it is possible to buy additional coverage.

Aside from establishing that the defendant had no insurance, the issues in bringing a claim against the injured party’s own insurance are essentially the same as would arise in any personal injury case.

In cases where the injured person has no automobile insurance, which is most likely to occur when a pedestrian who does not drive is struck by a car, the injured person may bring a claim directly to the New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC).

The MVAIC provides coverage of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, in motor vehicle accident cases where there is no other insurance available.

When proceeding against the MVAIC, there are special notification rules that do not apply to private insurance companies, and it is important to have the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.

If you have suffered personal injury in a car accident, it is important to have a personal injury lawyer who understands what compensation may be available to you.

If you need legal help, please feel free to call us at 716-631-9999.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment