I Was Walking Across The Street And Hit By A Car. Who Pays For My Medical Bills?

by Friedman & Ranzenhofer, PC on February 3, 2010

in NY Insurance Issues

New York State is what is termed a “No-Fault” state, which means that if your are driving an automobile and struck by another car in Buffalo, your medical bills will usually be paid by your own insurance company through the automobile insurance that you purchased.  So what happens if you are not in a car when struck?

If a pedestrian or bicyclist is struck by a car in New York State, his or her medical bills will, at least initially, be paid through the driver’s “No-Fault” automobile insurance policy, not the pedestrian’s policy.  Under certain conditions involving a serious injury, however, an injured pedestrian may also have funds from his or her own automobile insurance, such as Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, available as compensation for injuries.

This additional coverage may be available even though the injured party was not in a car at the time of the accident.  If you are injured by a driver while biking or driving, you should consult an attorney experienced with insurance law to explore possible sources of compensation with you.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment