If I’m In A Car Accident And No One Has Insurance, Who Pays My Bills?

by Friedman & Ranzenhofer, PC on September 19, 2012

in Buffalo Car Accidents

In most Buffalo car accident lawsuits, the parties have automobile insurance.  This auto insurance usually pays the initial medical expenses and lost wages.  An auto insurance company is also, in most cases, the source of any financial compensation obtained through a personal injury lawsuit.

For those cases where no other auto insurance is available, New York State created the Motor Vehicle Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC) in 1958.  The purpose of MVAIC is to provide No Fault (medical expense and lost wage) coverage and bodily injury coverage to New York State residents injured in auto accidents where the parties do not have insurance.

Under this situation, it is possible to make a claim directly to the MVAIC for financial compensation.  There are, however, strict guidelines regarding how such a claim may be made and deadlines within which it must be filed.  A claimant also is required to establish that there is no other auto insurance coverage available.

If you have been injured in a car accident, we can help you.  Call us at 716-542-5444.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment